All sorts of people volunteer for many different reasons, but the thing that unites them all is that they find it challenging, rewarding and varied.
- Volunteering can add a great deal to your life and the lives of those for whom you volunteer.
- It offers you a chance to become involved in a project or with an organisation you really care about.
- It offers an opportunity to meet new and like-minded people.
- It gives you the chance to try out something different to your ‘everyday’ job, which may lead to new career options.
At Iceni we value our volunteers. Here are some of the reasons they have given for volunteering with us:
- Feel that I am making a positive difference
- Gain new skills
- Make new friends
- Have fun
- Keep busy
- Use existing skills
- Gain work experience
- Give something back
- Sample a career
- Do something different from my paid job
There’s an opportunity for almost everyone who shares our values and vision! We are committed to ensuring equality of opportunity for everyone who volunteers with us. We have volunteers who are former clients, students, retired, unemployed, employed, disabled, old and young, from a variety of ethnic and religious backgrounds.
All we ask is that volunteers share Iceni’s philosophy.
Volunteers are integral to the service Iceni provides. Without our dedicated team of volunteers we would struggle to deliver such a high standard of service to our clients.
Do you have:
- A non judgmental attitude
- A desire to learn new skills and increase your knowledge around issues related to addictions
- Good listening skills
- Enthusiasm and a sense of humour
- Ideas and knowledge that can help Iceni to evolve and improve our delivery approach
If so we are keen to hear from you to discuss how you can get involved and become part of the Iceni family.
What do our volunteers do?
Main areas of responsibility:
- Reception Duties
- Helping in the coffee bar
- Assisting staff
- Admin tasks
Our volunteers normally commit to doing at least one or two shifts a week (morning shift 9.00am to 1.00pm, afternoon shift 1.00pm to 5.00pm).
What does Iceni give their volunteers?
In return we can give you:
- Training: We are committed to providing volunteers with the training and resources they need to perform their roles effectively.
- Support and supervision: It is important that you receive supervision and support to develop your volunteering role.
- Personal and professional development: As with paid members of staff, volunteers are offered the opportunity for professional and personal development. This may be through our range of in-house training courses or on the job training.
- Insurance: All volunteers are insured on the premises and for any work they undertake on our behalf.
- Safety: All volunteers are informed of our safe working practices when they start.
- Travel Expenses: Iceni pays travelling expenses up to £5 per week.
Because of the nature of our service all volunteers undergo a DBS check paid for by Iceni.
Take the first step and Volunteer Application Form. Once returned to us completed we will invite you in for a chat and a look around and meet the team – you can then decide if Iceni is for you.
What do our volunteers say?
Here’s what our volunteers say about helping out at Iceni:
- “It provides the first step on the ladder back into paid work.”
- “Helps build self esteem.”
- “It’s a way of giving something back.”
- “An opportunity to interact with clients and be part of a team.”
- “It’s a small way in which I can help others deal with an addiction…something that I’ve had experience of myself.”
- “I can’t think of any other volunteer work which would have kept me interested for six years. Aside from the rewarding nature of the work, Iceni is also a place where it is fun to be – a real pleasure.”